I love my new MacBook Pro, running the new operating system, Mavericks! But when I started to migrate my files and applications from my old Mac laptop, which was running Mountain Lion, I made some really big mistakes. So, in the fine tradition of “Do as I say, not as I do”, here is the wrong way to do it and the right. I hope this helps make your migration seamless!
First of all, wrong way… Full of enthusiasm, I turned on my old laptop and my new one. Migration Assistant was easy to find on the new one, and I rashly decided that I didn’t need to connect the two with anything as old fashioned as a cable. I chose our home network and let ‘er rip… A timer with the amount of time required appeared on the screen… over 15 hours. Hmmm… Then, I noticed that my old laptop seemed inclined to go to sleep. Three hours later, we were still at about 15 hours on that countdown!
Now… right way. This requires a little work, but it’s easy and fast! If you have found this post because you’re stuck in the middle of a slow migration, don’t despair. You can stop it and start all over. That’s the good news!!! To stop it, press Command + Q on both computers. Now, you can jump right into the following instructions. Read more →
- Photoshopping, Processing, Compositing– Is There a Difference? Part Four: Photo Processing… Get Ready for Some Serious Fun!
- Photoshopping, Processing, Compositing– Is There a Difference? Part Three: Photo Processing… Where the Art Begins!
- Photoshopping, Processing, Compositing– Is There a Difference? Part Two: Compositing
- Photoshopping, Processing, Compositing– Is There a Difference? Part One: Photoshopping
- Why You Need Both an iPhone Camera and a DSLR!